Monday, 11 June 2018

Priest Killed in Nueva Ecija Has Schedule Debate With Church Minister, Police Confirms

A Catholic priest in Nueva Ecija was shot dead by two unidentified suspects on Sunday, June 10. According to the CBCP (Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines), this is the third incident of its kinds for the past six months. Nevertheless, police confirmed that the recently murdered priest is scheduled to have a debate with a church minister this August.

Loading...


According to CBCP News, Fr. Richmnond Nilo of the Diocese of Cabanatuan was about to celebrate Mass in the chapel of Brgy. Mayamot, Zaragoza on Sunday, at around 5 pm. Based on the initial investigation by Nueva Ecija Provincial Police Office (NEPPO), the 40-year old priest was behind the altar when he was shot four times through a window.

CBCP emphasized that Fr. Nilo is the third priest victim of murder, following the killing of Fr. Mark Ventura last April 29 and Fr. Marcelito Paez on December 4, 2017. Last June 6, Fr. Rey Urmeneta of the St. Michael the Archangel Parish in Calamba, Laguna was wounded after he was shot by still unidentified suspects.





Fr. Ventura, a known anti-mining activist, was killed by a gunman at a gymnasium after he concluded Mass in Gattaran, Cagayan. On the other hand, Fr. Paez had been a political activist since the martial law era under then President Ferdinand Marcos. The retired priest was shot while driving through Jaen, also in Nueva Ecija.

“We condemn the attack on Father Nilo as we Christians condemn all killings and violence and all forms of impunity,” Fr. Jetts Jetanove, vicar general of the Diocese of Cabanatuan, said in a statement. Meanwhile, police added that the suspects immediately escaped the crime scene using a car, and are still at-large as of posting.



Nonetheless, devastated supporters of Fr. Nilo have been sharing a Facebook post by the murdered priest. According to the said post, Fr. Nilo is scheduled to have a religious debate with a Church minister at the Freedom Park, Cabanatuan City, Nueva Ecija at 1 pm. Police clarified that the post is legit and it is the official Facebook of the Catholic priest.

Contributed by Orlando Gagui


No comments:

Post a Comment